Caring for our pets is essentially the same as caring for our own children, especially when we raise them as a part of our family. Knowing which “human” foods are unhealthy, poisonous to pets and potentially fatal to any type of pet is essential to keep your own pets out of harm’s way at all times, regardless of the size of your family and the number of pets you own. Having a clear understanding of why some foods are unhealthy for pets is a surefire way to avoid poisoning your pet or causing them to have adverse effects after a simple treat. With just a few tips, reminders, and guidance, it becomes much easier to choose the right type of treat for your animal without the risks of repercussions in the long run.
Chocolate is one of the most common types of foods to avoid giving to pets, as the cocoa beans itself contain methylxanthines, which can trigger violent episodes of nausea, diarrhea, and severe dehydration in a short period of time. If your animal has ingested any form of chocolate, call your vet immediately to receive proper treatment and care. While dark chocolate is the least likely to trigger an episode in an animal, it still contains methylxanthines, whereas milk chocolate baking cocoa currently contains the most amount in each batch.
While avocados are a hit with humans for their highly-packed nutrients and good fat, they can also cause inflammation and trouble with cardiovascular systems in everything from birds to dogs. While avocados are not as risky to animals such as dogs and cats, they should also be avoided in the off chance of an underlying heart disease your animal may have.
Grapes and Raisins
Although research is still being conducted on grapes and raisins, it has been found that there is a toxic substance within both grapes and raisins that can ultimately prove fatal for canine species. Even without definitive proof of the type of toxin involved with grapes and raisins, it is best to avoid feeding them to pets altogether regardless.
Coconuts and Coconut Oil
When pets are given coconuts and coconut oils in larger quantities, this can quickly lead to diarrhea and dehydration, quickly becoming potentially fatal. Due to the amount of liquid found in each coconut, it is essential to limit the intake each of your pet enjoys when tasting any form of coconut.
Citrus Juice and Fruits
While citrus juice and fruits are often digestible for animals in smaller quantities, they can quickly cause issues when eaten in excess. Due to the acid within the citrus fruit and juice, this can quickly break down stomach acid and cause severe indigestion while triggering damage to the intestine and stomach lining.
Remaining aware and alert of what you are feeding your pets at all times is a key factor to keep them safe and out of potential danger while still allowing them to enjoy a treat every now and then. The more you understand about various foods and the potential toxicity each includes for your pets, the easier it ultimately is when making a decision while selecting a new dog or cat food for your pet or selecting the treat in your home that is truly the healthiest option you have available.
3 thoughts on “Fact vs Fiction: What is Actually Poisonous to Our Pets?”
Thank you I knew about Chocolate but not about the rest of them. V/R Bill
What about onions – very toxic to dogs
Thank you so much the pet info. I have a baby Snauzer puppy and I wouldn’t want to give her anything that would be harmful to her.?