The air ducts in your home may not be at the top of your cleaning list, but they should be! Ducts can become clogged with dust, debris, and pet hair – which can lead to air quality problems. Not only is it important to keep your air ducts clean for your health, but it can also help improve the efficiency of your heating and cooling system. Continue reading and we will discuss the importance of air duct cleaning as well as provide tips on how to get the job done right!
Should You Have Your Ducts Cleaned?
Much like your HVAC system’s air filter, your air ducts have recommended maintenance intervals. We recommend having your air ducts cleaned every 3-5 years. Though cleaning your air ducts isn’t a yearly occurrence, the EPA recommends having your air ducts cleaned immediately if:
- Animals: If you find evidence of animal or vermin infestation in your ducts or HVAC system, have them removed and then clean your ducts and HVAC unit.
- Pets: Having pets in the home doesn’t require that your air ducts be cleaned immediately, but you should consider having them cleaned more often than every three to five years. Pet hairs and odors can accumulate in the HVAC system and cause unpleasant smells to be released.
- Renovation: If your home has been remodeled – your ductwork may need to be cleaned. Often times contractors may forget to seal off the ducts during renovations. If this is the case, dust and debris become lodged inside the ductwork – requiring removal.
- Mold: The ductwork and HVAC system should be cleaned if there is visible mold growth. It’s worth noting that, if you have insulated air ducts and the insulation gets wet or moldy, they can’t be properly cleaned and must be removed and replaced. Mold will recur if the conditions that caused it in the first place are not addressed.
- Illness: Consider having your ducts cleaned if someone in your family is suffering from an unexplainable allergy-related illness.
- Contaminants: If debris, pet hair, odors, or other pollutants are being released into the room after the registers have been cleaned and vacuumed; the air ducts will need to be cleaned.
The Benefits of Getting Your Air Ducts Cleaned
There are many benefits of having your air ducts cleaned, including reducing the amount of dust and other allergens in your home, improving the efficiency of your HVAC system, and extending the life of your air filters. Dust and other debris can build up in your air ducts over time, making it difficult for your HVAC system to circulate air properly. This can lead to higher energy bills and shorter lifespans for your air filters. In addition, air duct cleaning can also improve the air quality in your home by removing pollutants and allergens from the air.
A professional air duct cleaning service can remove this buildup, allowing your HVAC system to run more efficiently and helping to extend the life of your air filters. Professional services typically do an excellent job, but cleaning your air ducts is something that some can do themselves.
How to Clean Your Air Ducts
Cleaning air ducts is relatively simple and only requires a few household supplies. First, you’ll need to turn off the power to your air duct system. Next, use a vacuum with a long hose attachment to remove any dust and debris from the inside of the air ducts. Once the vacuuming is complete, use a damp cloth to wipe down the inside of the air ducts. Finally, turn the power back on and enjoy your clean air ducts! If you can’t easily access all of your ducts, then a professional service might be the right choice for you.
Dirt particles that have gathered in your air ducts will be shaken loose during cleaning; potentially entering your air filter. We recommend purchasing a new high-quality air filter as you’re cleaning your HVAC system. Here at Discount Filters, we believe that an affordable air filter shouldn’t compromise quality. We provide sturdy and reliable air filters that will remove allergens, dust particles, and mold from the air without breaking your budget. The best part is that getting the filter you need is easy with our air filter finder. Once you find the filter you need, we can have it shipped right to your door.