We understand that purchasing a refrigerator is a large investment that impacts your home for many years. You want your refrigerator to last for many years to come and these simple easy to do tips can help. These impacts range from your lifestyle and household use to your wallet, the environment, and even your health.
Care and energy saving tips!
- Change your filter – changing your filter is one of the easiest things that you can do to make a large impact for your home and family. By changing your water filter every 6 months you are not only providing your home with fresh, clean, uncontaminated water but you are also making sure that your refrigerator is running properly and not using any more energy than necessary to deliver water to your ice and water dispenser.
- Clean the outside coils and door seals – by cleaning the coils around the bottom of the refrigerator removing dust you are able to assure that the fridge doesn’t have to work as hard to bring in air to cool and then circulate around your refrigerator. Cleaning the door seals with a vacuum can also keep the cool air from escaping saving your energy.
- Fill it up – making sure the fridge is full is a good way to assure that your refrigerator is more efficient. Just make sure it is not stuffed to the brim, you still need room for the air to circulate. Added bonus, in the event of a power outage the fridge will hold the cool air twice as long.
- Go through the fridge and throw out unwanted/old products – removing old products keeps your food smelling fresh. This act helps your fridge from getting too full and allows the air to circulate. It also helps you become familiar with your fridge and can help you find things you need faster retaining the cool air inside because of the short time needed with the refrigerator door open.
- Let foods cool – by letting the food cool to room temperature before placing inside of the refrigerator you save energy by not requiring the fridge to produce more cool air than it would need to to lower the temperature of the food item.
- Use glass containers – Glass containers are great because not only do they help retain the cooler temperatures keeping your food colder longer without extra energy but they allow you to easily identify the food inside. This allows you to get what you need faster so you can retain the cold air inside.
- Location, location, location – the location of your refrigerator can have a large impact on your energy bill and savings. The best place for your refrigerator is away from an area of direct sunlight or against an exterior wall. Also, it is important to remember that your appliances need space and should have at least 4-5 inches around it without touching anything.
- Make sure it’s in a container – food and beverages should be covered or wrapped before being placed in the refrigerator. When foods are not wrapped and beverages are not covered it allows the compressor to work that much hard to cool it down because of the natural moisture released from those items. It also will help cut down on the smell of your fridge.
Many of these tips can easily become part of your daily life and save energy along with saving you money in the long run, which is not only good for your wallet but also the world. A little refrigerator maintenance goes a long way and we understand that this is a big investment and we want to help you save money and live a healthier life starting with these easy tips.