While half of the world is promising to live healthier, eat better, and exercise more, a big part of the other half is hoping to finally kick their smoking habit to the curb this 2012. But we all know why we make resolutions – so that we can break them. So when you or someone who lives with you can’t quite bite the dust on cigarettes, know that there is a simple solution to that broken resolution.
PLAN OF ACTION
Obviously, quitting smoking and/or avoiding smoke-filled environments are the best ways to rid the presence of smoke. However, when these things aren’t easy to achieve, here are some ways to fight back:
- Ask smoking guests or housemates to smoke outside.
- Sit/stand as far away from smoker as possible.
- Find smoke-free restaurants and buildings.
- Don’t allow smoking in your vehicle.
- Encourage partners to quit smoking.
- Purchase a HEPA air filter for your home.
WHAT IS HEPA?
HEPA stands for: High Efficiency Particulate Arrestor. Sounds fancy, huh? What this means is that HEPA filters are able to remove up to 99.97% of ultra-fine particles in the air and helps remove the presence of secondhand smoke. Three ways HEPA stops particles is:
- Particles run into the fibers in the filter.
- Particles within one diameter of a fiber get stuck to the fiber.
- Micron particles, moving through the filter collide with other molecules causing it to stick to fibers as well.
The moral of the story is that HEPA filters work by making particles nearly impossible to pass through their tight maze of fibers. Those tricky fibers.
HOW HEPA HELPS:
- Helps reduce the effects of secondhand smoke.
- Stops particles from passing into the air we breathe.
- Helps individuals with respiratory ailments.
So while you, your loved one, and the rest of the smoking world may not be able to kick the habit, there are ways to help protect yourself and those around you from secondhand smoke. Find your HEPA filter today.