Built to provide your household with crystal clear, refreshing drinking water, the WF287 refrigerator water filter is used in refrigerators by GE, Amana, Hotpoint, Kenmore, and others to eliminate harsh impurities from your tap water. The WF287 fridge filter is specifically designed to replace the GE MWF refrigerator water filter. Unfiltered tap water can bring a number of potential health hazards to yourself and your home. The WF287 filter replacement gives you peace of mind and eliminates unwanted substances that may be present in your tap water. Why worry about drinking dirty water when you can enjoy better-tasting water for drinking and making beverages as well as clean, clearer, and healthy ice. This MWF filter replacement acts as a high quality, cost-effective alternative to the factory original.
The secret behind the filtration power of the WF287 fridge filter is a block of activated carbon located in an inner chamber of the filter cartridge. Activated carbon is a highly porous form of the carbon material that has an increased surface area. This makes the substance ideal for capturing and holding unwanted particulate such as chlorine taste, odor, and other foreign contaminants. The activated carbon block prevents pathogens from entering your drinking water while allowing clean, healthy water to pass through. Clean water is then pushed back out of the filter where it is then dispensed and is available for consumption.
To install your new WF287 fridge filter, first locate the filter cartridge. This is typically found in the upper right corner in the back of the refrigerator compartment. The filter cartridge should be replaced once the replacement indicator light turns red or if the flow of water to the dispenser or icemaker decreases. For refrigerators without an indicator light, a good measure to go by is every 6 months.
- Remove old filter cartridge by grasping and turning to the left about 1/2 turn
- Fill the replacement filter with water from the tap to allow for better flow immediately after installation
- Place the top of the new cartridge up inside the cartridge holder
- Slowly turn the filter until the filter cartridge stops. Do not over tighten. As you turn the cartridge it will automatically raise itself into position. The cartridge will move about 1/2 turn
- Run water from the dispenser for 3 minutes (about 1-1/2 gallons) to clear the system and prevent sputtering
- Press and hold reset water filter button if your fridge has one
Why Your Filter Needs Changed
With your WF287 water filter properly installed, you can now enjoy clear, healthy drinking water at all times. Keep in mind, however, that your fridge filter won’t last forever. As you run water through the filter over an extended period of time, the water will begin to degrade the carbon inside. This can cause the activated carbon to lose its efficacy. Ensure that your home is always equipped to produce crystal clear water by routinely changing your fridge filter every six months or as necessary.