So you decided to save money by purchasing a reusable/washable air filter. However, part of saving money on the overall cost is making sure you actually wash it. Otherwise, you’ll be putting extra money toward your utility bill when your Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system has to go into overdrive just to push your air past all the dust and debris that’s built up. Here’s a guide on how to clean a reusable air filter.
- Turn off the electricity to your HVAC system.
- Remove the unit cover.
- Now, you’ll be able to remove your air filter. Do so.
- Vacuum off as much dust and debris from the filter as possible. Also, make sure to vacuum around the unit as well.
- There are many different solutions you can use for cleaning your filter. However, we suggest mixing ½ white vinegar and ½ water in a tub large enough to be able to submerge your air filter. (This solution helps remove bacteria and kill allergens.)
- Let your air filter soak. If you clean your ac filter regularly, then an hour should do the trick. If you’ve been skimping a bit, you should let it soak for several hours.
- After soaking, remove the air filter from the solution and let it sit to dry. Don’t rinse it.
- Once thoroughly dried, replace the filter and vent cover. Don’t forget to turn the electricity back on and enjoy your clean, healthy air.