If you have a refrigerator water filter or furnace filters in your home, do you know when it’s time to replace a filter? Here are some common questions about filters and what you need to know about replacing them:
When should you replace a filter?
- Air filters: It depends on the type of filter and the air quality in your home. The general rule is to replace a filter every three months. But it’s a good idea to check a filter at least once a month in case it’s dirty or clogged and needs replacing.
- Refrigerator water filter: On average, you should replace the filter every six months depending on the water’s quality and how much water you use. Most fridges with a water system include a status light so you know when it’s time replace the filter. Also, if the water tastes bad or is cloudy, that’s a sign your filter isn’t purifying the water.
What are the benefits of replacing a filter?
By regularly changing filters and not waiting too long, you:
- Keep you and your family healthier by not exposing them to contaminants in the water or toxins in the air.
- Make sure that your refrigerator and ventilation systems are working efficiently and last longer. For example, when an air filter isn’t working, particles and debris can damage parts in a heating or air conditioning system and cause it to fail.
What happens if you don’t replace an air filter when it’s time?
- A dirty, clogged filter in a furnace or air conditioner causes the fan to work harder to force air through the filter. This can lower the airflow in your home and make your heater or air conditioner work less effectively.
- If you wash a filter instead of replacing it, this can damage the filter’s fibers. Also, putting water in the filter can cause mold and bacteria to form inside of it.
What happens if you don’t regularly replace a refrigerator water filter
An old fridge filter builds up contaminants that will make your water smell and taste bad. Even worse, a filter can become contaminated with bacteria, which ends up in your drinking water or ice.
Save money and time by buying filters in bulk from Discount Filters
By ordering your filters in bulk, you’ll have spare filters on hand so you can replace an old filter immediately. And, you’ll pay less for a filter by buying a value pack. Our quality, affordable filters are made in the U.S.A.
Simplify your life by signing up for a filter subscription
Rather than waiting too long or forgetting to replace a filter, you can set up a subscription plan with DiscountFilters.com. We’ll ship filters to your door every 6, 12 or 18 months — and you’ll save lock in your current price. Plus, we’ll send you emails reminding you to change your filter.