How To Clean Your Washable Filter
By: Krysten C.
So you wanted to save some money by purchasing a reusable/washable air conditioner filter. However, part of saving money on the overall cost is making sure that you actually wash it. Otherwise, you’ll be putting extra money toward your utility bill when your air conditioner has to go into overdrive just to push your air past all the dust and debris that’s built up. Here’s a guide to cleaning your air conditioner filter.
- Turn off the electricity to your air conditioner, first and foremost.
- Remove the air conditioning unit cover.
- Now, you’ll be able to remove your ac filter. Do so.
- Vacuum off as much dust and debris from the filter as possible. Also, make sure to vacuum around the ac unit as well.
- There are many different solutions that you can use for cleaning your filter. However, we suggest mixing ½ white vinegar and ½ water in a tub large enough to be able to submerge your ac filter. (the solution helps to remove bacteria and kill allergens)
- Let it soak. If you clean your ac filter regularly, an hour should do the trick. If you’ve been skimping a bit, let it soak for several hours.
- After soaking, remove the filter from the solution and let it sit to dry. Don’t rinse it.
- Once thoroughly dried, replace the filter and ac cover. Don’t forget to turn the electricity back on and enjoy the clean, and hopefully cool, air.