Reusable Air Conditioner Filters
Standard air conditioner filters must be changed every few months, but you do have an alternative to that regular changing schedule. Reusable filters are a viable option if you’re looking to save time and a trip to the store when you need a clean air filter.
Aside from saved trips, reusable air filters come with many advantages:
- They are cost effective. Your savings from purchasing several one-time use filters throughout the year can add up, making a reusable option more affordable in the long run.
- Reusable filters do not require any special or expensive cleaning products, just water.
- Filters that are thrown away create continued waste, making a reusable filters a good choice for those who are concerned about the environment.
- They are easy to install and fit into your existing unit.
As with any product, reusable air conditioner filters also come with potential disadvantages:
- Cleaning the filters requires time.
- Reusable air conditioner parts like filters do not provide the absolute highest level of filtration. Most reusable filters come with a MERV, or Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value, of 4 or 5. This rating is on the high end of the standard residential rating range, meaning they will help trap dust, dirt and pollen. However, if you have pets or if you have severe allergies or respiratory problems you might consider getting a higher rated non-reusable option.
Reusable air conditioner filters are typically made from two different materials:
- Hog Hair: Hog hair reusable filters are durable, washable, and come with a metal frame. They have a MERV rating of 4, making them a standard option for the home.
- Polypropylene: Polypropylene filters are a durable and sophisticated option for reusable air filtration. This option, which some may think of as plastic air conditioner filters, use webbing and mesh to create an egg crate-like design. The egg crate design increases the amount of surface that the filter is able to capture particles. Polypropylene filters also include several layers that are textured and irregular, meaning that it is capable of capturing and holding onto particles that flow into it. Unlike some other reusable options, this type of filter does not have foam within it, meaning it will not easily break down and will survive prolonged usage. They come with a MERV rating of 5 and are a high-quality option in reusable air filtration.
Other options, like cloth filters or canvas filters, are primarily used for highly industrial environments that require much stronger filtration than is ever needed in a residential setting.
Cleaning Reusable Air Conditioner Filters
Reusable air conditioner filters do not require frequent replacement but do require maintenance. This type of filter should be checked approximately once every few months and cleaned. Use cold water to rinse them off from front to back. Using a hose in the backyard is the best option. It is important to make sure they dry before being put back in the unit, especially to prevent dirt trapped in moisture from entering into the system. No other product or special maintenance routine is required.
Buying a Reusable Air Conditioner Filter
Reusable air conditioner filters are a great option if you’re seeking an eco-friendly option for the traditional throw-away filters. In addition, they are great if you have a sufficient back yard space to clean them and are willing to take the time to clean them. Reusable air conditioner effects include filtration that is exceptional for a home space. DiscountFilters.com has both hog hair and polypropylene options that will meet your needs and provide excellent air filtration in your home.